Friday

What Makes a Good Photographer?

I was pondering this question last week as I drove into London for a three day school prospectus shoot. And within 24 hours of working with everyone at Alpha Prep I had my answer:

Q: What Makes A Good Photographer?
A: Good Clients

It's as simple as that. When I work with my clients I think it's important that they understand how I work and how passionate I am about providing both a superb service and fantastic images. Once they're on board with this - and most people realise this about me very quickly - it becomes a true collaboration and they start to challenge me. They are encouraging and relaxed about working with me and this is what makes great photographs. Trust is vital and I try to ensure that I respect each and every client every step of the way. Once all of these aspects are in place most clients can tell that things are going well when one of two things happen:

1. I laugh... (loudly & a lot)
2. I go very quiet which means I'm on to a great shot

And last week working with Alpha again was when I realised this and it's made me more determined than ever to keep on working with lovely clients like them who really value what I do and how I do it.

When I complete a job a simple 'thank you' means the World to me - I feel lucky enough to have worked with fantastic people in warm and relaxing surroundings. And that's why I am deeply touched when my clients give me a present. They really aren't necessary because the job itself is a reward but I do get a huge amount of joy from them. I know that I shouldn't really post photos of my many gifts because it might make future clients think that they have to buy me something (!) but to them please don't be swayed - I really do love my job & that is already the icing on the cake.

So to Clare & Shaun & Alpha Prep a huge 'THANK YOU' for the lovely flowers and delicious choccies. Clare, eating a box of Hotel Chocolat chocolates is probably the most indulgent thing you can do. I made sure that I ate them in bed watching TV just to really make the most of them... he he he.


And the reson that I've only photographed one corner of Alpha's gift is that there are quite a few missing already!




... what diet?!

If you are reading this and are looking for a wedding photographer or for some updated family portraits or for photography for use in a school prospectus or website please give me a call to have a chat about things. I hope to hear from you. x



No comments: